This morning, while reading the newspaper over a breakfast of eggs fried in butter and coffee with heavy cream, I found the article about Denmark levying the world’s first Fat Tax, on food products containing saturated fats and especially on Butter.  As a Low Carber, I believe that this is one more misplaced attempt to  impose the “flavor of the day” nutrition mythology.  The fostering of the Low Fat mythology by our government and food industry is directly related to the increase in diabetes.  This is another step in that direction and flies in the face of the recent developing scientific data. 

Once more – brilliant government functionaries impose their own views of what is healthy – on an unsuspecting populace. 

The other evening, I watched an old friend, the movie Serenity.  My wife and I are fans of the original TV show, Firefly and the movie.   When we stumbled upon Serenity on TV, we curled up and enjoyed the show.

Wait – what the hell does this have to do with the Fat Tax?  Everything.

In both the TV series and the movie, the Reavers are the main “boggy men.”‘  They are humans who have become the vampires or undead of space.  I grabbed the following from Wikipedia:

The Reavers’ true origin is revealed later in the movie Serenity. The crew of Serenity find evidence, in the form of an Alliance scientist’s holographic message, that Reavers were originally humans from the planet Miranda. The Alliance government used Miranda as a testing ground for the chemical agent G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate, or simply “Pax” (Latin for “peace”). It was added to the planet’s air processors in order to calm the population and weed out aggression. The agent worked, but too well: 99.9% of the population became so lethargic that they stopped working, talking, and eventually eating and moving. They simply lay down and succumbed to death. The remaining “tenth of a percent” (i.e. 0.1%) of the planet’s 30 million people had the opposite reaction to the Pax, becoming mindlessly violent and extremely aggressive.

It dawned on me, Denmark is doing with the Fat Tax exactly what the Alliance tried to do with “Pax”: make people better.  Will we lay down and die or worse become Reavers? 

Yes – I know – I am overstating my case.  But deep down – you know that what Denmark is doing is just plain wrong.