The one thing that everyone has joked about was weight loss.  “Oh – you are going to see a big weight loss.”  NOT.  I gained 4 pounds.

How the hell can that happen when you haven’t eaten a damn thing and you have emptied your innards out – completely? 

It’s the Low Carb Effect.  What?  Think about it.  Eating Low Carb and exercising – you maintain very little glycogen stores.  The result is that your body is purged of water – and as we have recently learned – salt.  I mixed the MiraLax with 64 oz of Gatorade – I had over 100 grams of carbs in 1.5 hours.  Talk about refilling your glycogen tank.  Add to that the salt content of the broth that was my sole sustenance for 24 hours.  My body is bloated with water – 4+ pounds of water.

I got to the doctor’s office at 7:30am.  Checked in and within a couple of minutes was called for prep.  Strip down except for your socks and put on this robe – opening towards the back.  The one really nice thing about having lost weight – the robe closed and I could actually tie the straps.  Yippee.  That’s right up there with not needing a seat belt extender for an airplane seat belt.

They hooked me up to an IV along with a blood pressure cuff and pulse monitor.  Blood pressure was the best its been measured in ages.  The Doc came in and complimented me on keeping my weight off.  I had been in his office for a different procedure about 3-4 years ago.  At that time, he did not recognize me.  I have known this guy for some 30 years – we circulate in the same community.  It wasn’t until he opened his file that he figured out who was lying on his table.  This time he was prepared.

He told me all the things that could go wrong – and then I was asleep.

When I woke, I was already in recovery.  Took a couple of minutes to get my head clear enough to get dressed and see the Doc.  One tiny polyp – benign.  Chatted about grandchildren and joked about whether he and/or I would still be around for the next appointment in 5 years.  We are around the same age and retirement and warmer climates loom large in your thinking.

My wife drove me home at 8:55, and she went to work.   I am home for the morning.  She will join me for lunch at home and take me to the office.  I am not allowed to drive until the anesthesia is fully out of my system.

The sole side effect – my colon had been pumped full of air – it is not a pleasant feeling – but it is dissipating – loudly.

Just finished my eggs, sausage and cheese breakfast. Working on my 2nd cup of coffee as I type this post.  Looking forward to working out on Saturday.